The Stevens Tempe Cell System can employ five different methods to eliminate the uncertainties from soil moisture measurements and achieve the highest level of accuracy. This system uses an enhanced gravimetric method to measure soil moisture to obtain the actual volumetric water content and develop a soil moisture calibration equation to validate and/or program into soil moisture sensors. In addition, the system’s outputted data can be used to develop a soil-specific calibration curve, and to develop an algorithm to determine the soil’s matric potential using the HydraProbe.
The Stevens Tempe Cell is ideal for mesonets, climate reference networks, and soil monitoring stations.
- Provide a traditional gravimetric method for determining soil water content.
- Determination of bulk density, porosity and saturation of soil.
- Develop soil-specific calibration equations to adjust and/or validate soil moisture sensors using an enhanced gravimetric/volumetric soil moisture determination.
- The system’s volumetric water content data output can be used to develop a soil-specific calibration curve*
- A soil-water retention curve up to 2 bar can be developed and curve-fit to the output of HydraProbe sensors enabling the HydraProbe to output matric potential for specific soils.*
* Advanced soil retention curve development option required.
- Agriculture/agricultural research
- Climate reference monitoring
- Soil carbon and gas flux monitoring
- Soil contaminate remediation
- Satellite ground-truthing
- Drought, flooding and climate modeling
- Soil water infiltration
- Use a HydraProbe to measure matric potential eliminating the need of tensiometers
|Tempe cell max. pressure||2 bar|
|Coring ring inner dimensions||9 cm L x 8.56 cm ∅|
|Coring ring volume||517.9 cc|
|Coring ring outer diameter||8.89 cm|
|Tempe stand holding fixture||19cm x 13cm|
|KIT||Basic kit, non- pressurized||Advanced soil retention curve development option|
|USES||Determination of soil bulk density, calibration development and validation.||Soil water retention curves, field capacity determination, and more calibration points.|
Note: drying oven and balance are not included.
|All items from basic kit, plus:
Enter your name and email address to receive a link to the PDF version of the Stevens Product Catalog. You will be subscribed to the Stevens Water newsletter (you can unsubscribe any time).
Download the Stevens Soil Resource Guide
Written by the soil experts at Stevens, our soil resource guide contains a wealth of information and will benefit anyone involved with soil. Whether you’re a soil scientist, a farmer or a soil researcher, this 52 page book is a fantastic reference and source of up-to-date theories, practices and advice.
Salinity / Electrical Conductivity (EC)
Soil Monitoring Applications
Soil Moisture and Irrigation
Soil Sensor Technologies
Soil Sensor Calibration
…and much more!
Shop Online / Inquire
Need more information? We’re here to help!
Tell us a bit about yourself and your question and we’ll get back to you ASAP.